Sunday, 18 November 2018

how's the weather? and other brain farts.


Image may contain: sky, tree and outdoor


The photo above was taken about a week ago. I just love how that shattering hue of blue is enhanced with the plants and lamppost in it. No one else would know just by looking at that picture that it was taken during a really cool morning, because it might as well have been taken during the summer anyway. But I just love that shade as to me it signifies that the amihan season in the Philippines has begun.  

Along with the changes in season come the seasonal photos posted by my friends on social media as well who are scattered around the world. I have several friends who have already shared their own photos about snow in September (Canada), how it is snowing just now in their area (some other temperate areas in the northern hemisphere), while some are enjoying springtime (Australia and New Zealand) in the last quarter of the year. Now, winter has always held some magical mystery for me as it is the only season that I have never experienced yet. What's it like to experience snow? What does it actually look and feel like? How long until I get sick of it? Will I get sick of it?

Having lived in a tropical island for most of my life, I have always wondered all of those things. The closest thing to experiencing a wintry weather was when I went to the States in the springtime. That really felt like I was in a freezer. Funny cos  a relative from Michigan who was also in California at that time mentioned how it was warmer there. In a swarm of people who cavorted about wearing shorts and shirts, I was the only one bundled in a thick jacket, wearing two shirts, and still shivering from what I guess was a balmy 60s or so. Ha.

So yeah. If that springtime weather felt like winter, what more if I went somewhere right now where it's actually winter? Complete with snow and the windchill factor. Yikes.

There is a running joke here in the Philippines when one talks about the weather. When a foreigner asks a Filipino about the weather, the Filipino replies, "We have two kinds of weather here: hot and hotter." That couldn't have been more accurate. If it's not raining, it's hot. If the humidity is really high, good luck, cos it means rain but only after suffering under such sweltering heat first. Summer is the last stretch of the country's dry season in the Philippines. Visitors will survive hanging out in malls during the day if they're not lounging in some island soaking up the sun and splashing about in azure waters.

If I get to be asked which season is my favourite, I'd say the dry season, which has started in late October. People here in my country can now enjoy drier yet cooler weather again brought about by the northeast monsoon which we call amihan. So while winter and playing in the snow are still light years away from becoming a reality for me, I am content snuggling under furry blankets wearing jammies in this cool weather. Hot cocoa in the mornings or the chillier evenings is in order too. 

======================

Commuting in Metro Manila is not for the faint-hearted. One should be physically, emotionally, and mentally prepared for what is in store when battling it out with the masses of people for a choice seat in any of the available public transportation. Rush hour is the thing of the past, which can be easily and sadly, painfully felt at this time of the year since Christmas is fast approaching. Minutes matter to those marching off to work in the morning because leaving the house just a few minutes later can spell horrendous traffic and difficulty in getting on a bus, train, or jeepney. People who drive their own cars don't fare well either. 

Which is why the hapless hordes can just be thankful for small mercies. In my experience, that would be the bus lane, the P2P (point-to-point) buses, being able to find a seat the moment I get on the bus, so on and so forth. Because if I focus on the fact that I have to allot two and a half freaking hours' worth of travel time each day instead of maybe just thirty minutes or so in an ideal world (and so much more, to be honest), I'd go raving mad. 

But really. Working at home now is the way to go. Leaving the house only when necessary is fine.

======================

I'll end this drivel with something more substantial. My Long Forgotten Cloistered Sleep is another excellent work of the musical enchantress Yuki Kajiura and sung by one of her singing groups called FictionJunction. It was a nice surprise to see that Wakana and Keiko of Kalafina are also part of it. There are two other singers in FictionJunction who I'm not familiar with yet as this is the first time I've listened to this group's songs.

The song is also the first English song composed by Ms. Kajiura that I've listened to. I love the medieval-like melody of this song which is characteristic of most of Ms. Kajiura's compositions. Good thing there's a live version of it which showcases her on the keyboards and FictionJunction at the vocals.  

Hit play and enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

sunday currently vol. 61

Currently... reading: Serena on Webtoon.  writing: this. i'm not holding my breath for when i will finally write a decent paragraph that...