Saturday, 1 April 2017

Lost in Hong Kong: Epilogue



My nerdy sensibilities satisfied, I decided to explore the rest of Tsim Sha Tsui in a totally random manner with the boardwalk as my endgame. By this time it was already around 4pm, which meant I had approximately two hours to kill before heading back to the airport in time. My phone was also about to die so I had to shut it down eventually to conserve battery after taking exactly ten photos around the boardwalk (I literally counted them just now; didn't know they numbered ten back then).


The soy milk was so yummy I bought another one with a different flavour in a 7-11.
I saw a queue that led to this Vitasoy Go! van upon exiting the park. The tetra packs of flavoured soy milk were given for free so of course, get in line I did. I got the oat biscuit flavour which really tasted good. Perfect since it was also served cold.  



Right behind the Vitasoy Go! van is an ice cream truck called Mobile Softee that sells soft-serve ice cream, drumsticks, ice cream cups and jumbo orange. I got a cone of the soft-serve ice cream to enjoy along with my half-drunk soy milk. What? It was such a hot day, don't judge.

Those super sosi malls and high-end boutiques which I passed by on my way to the boardwalk didn't catch my attention that much, pretty as they are. But almost everything that I passed by along the boardwalk caught my attention that I wanted to see them all at once. So many people all around, locals and tourists alike enjoying the sights and sounds. Photographers who will take your photo with the Hong Kong side as backdrop. People boarding and alighting from the ferry. Junk boats gliding along Victoria Harbour. Stalls that sell fun souvenirs. A local band playing in the amphitheatre which I enjoyed watching. Hong Kong Island glimmering in the afternoon sun. It looked like it was glaring at me as if it knew I wouldn't have enough time to spare in exploring it. And oh wait, I found Jackie Chan's star along the Avenue of Stars (NOT Comic Stars haha)!

Recalling all of these brings such a silly smile. Normally I would shy away from crowds and ultra-touristy places, but I can really and truly say that I've enjoyed every bit of this last phase of my Hong Kong trip that I practically wrapped myself up in all of its touristy glory like a sushi.

Clock Tower.


Junk boat

To have gone on a solo trip abroad for a day is by far the craziest thing I have ever done as a traveller. Bloopers came out of the woodwork: I was mistaken for a local a couple of times (thanks to my generic features), shyness and nervousness got to me in the best of times that I nearly forgot how to speak; and the funniest thing of all, I almost had no idea what my next destination would be until I decided on the spot where I wanted to go... and then I would have to just begin the process of figuring out how to get there.

Talk about inconveniencing oneself, huh. But what the hey, I kinda find it funny. Even see it as an adventure. Something to tell my grandkids in the future. That is, if I ever get married and have kids first.

Here's a confession, though. Since I blended in so beautifully with the locals, I did not even have to try hard to pretend to be one as long as no talking was involved. And then there's also this little thing called running monologue going on and on in my head time and again. Am I walking in the right direction? Where's my map? Don't look too obvious! Look straight ahead! No eye contact! Oh wow, that's a nice view! Lemme call my friend... oops, cannot be. Time and place, there's a time and place for that. Just enjoy the freaking view!

Something to that extent.

When all is said and done, going  on this crazy Hong Kong day tour also happened to be the most fun trip abroad I've had in a long time. It was very much unlike the times I've travelled alone before. There were no family or friends to stay or hang out with this time. I was all by myself in a strange place where I had to rely on the kindness of strangers and even on my meager knowledge of the city. And while Hong Kong was a British Colony, not everyone spoke English, so there's the matter of language. Lastly, the decisions on where to go, how to get there and what to do when I arrive, they were all my own doing.

And it's all so new.
Fun.
Scary.
Exciting.  
Discombobulating.
Ha.
Simply fantastic.

Given the chance, I'd gladly do it again. Just not on a day tour anymore, though. Maybe a minimum of three days would be sufficient.


Very last photo I took in HKG before I shut off my phone.


Fin










Or maybe not. Nyahaha.




Get lost with me on my HKG adventures! :)







No comments:

Post a Comment

sunday currently vol. 61

Currently... reading: Serena on Webtoon.  writing: this. i'm not holding my breath for when i will finally write a decent paragraph that...