My next and
which turned out to be my last stop is Tsim Sha Tsui, located in the southern
part of Kowloon. It is a major tourist hub where hotels, restaurants, parks,
museums, and the like abound. Tsim Sha Tsui is also a shopper's
paradise. In fact, there are several shopping malls down one road alone, among
other malls that dot the area. So when I got off the train at Tsim Sha Tsui
Station...
I carefully
studied the map in the station and saw Kowloon Park. The map stated that I
should go out at Exit A1. I would just like to say that I was by the N and P
exits at this time, in which its distance from A1 would be like walking from
the end of Building A to B in Megamall. Or at least it seemed like that because
my legs were starting to protest and more importantly, I needed to eat already.
So I guess walking towards A1 is a mean feat for someone who walked practically
nonstop for the better part of the day and only had snacks for nourishment so
far. Yay me! Hahaha!
I actually
asked the lady at the customer service desk if I could ride a bus from Exit N5
to Kowloon Park, but in a stern voice she told me that it is too near so I
should just go to Exit A1. Gulp. It was a loooooong walk from N to A1 but thank
heavens I finally got out of the station. Looking at the map again now, I could
have gotten out through Exit C1 which is just across from where I was and saved
myself some energy. But I guess the lady's directions worked out well in
the end.
There was a
Mc Cafe (McDonald's) on a street just off Nathan Road and I made a beeline for
it. The place was packed and I didn't care anymore that I was once again
choosing the familiar over trying something unique. Arguing with myself proved
to be futile since my mind was already set on filling my stomach with something
substantial, and fast. I settled on a stool on a table among strangers and
enjoyed my cheeseburger meal. Hey, no one can go wrong with cheeseburgers and
fries. Ever. :)
While I was
studying my map in Mc Cafe, I saw the Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre to be
within Kowloon Park so that became my main destination. Little did I know that
on the way there, I would be wonderfully sidetracked by several other
attractions in the park, which included the Hong Kong Avenue of Comic Stars,
the Chinese Garden, the Aviary, Pool Complex, Bird Lake, and that fateful
bridge, which will have sort of a special mention later on.
Upon entering
the sprawling 13.3 hectare Kowloon Park, the first attraction I saw is the Hong Kong Avenue
of Comic Stars. It opened in 2012 and features twenty-four larger-than-life-sized
famous comic characters and ten bronze handprints of comic artists. Actually had
a blooper here. I mistook this attraction to be a part of the Avenue of Stars at first since I thought "comic stars" meant comedians. Learned that it meant comic book characters and it is a whole different tourist attraction from Hong Kong's Avenue of Stars, which is located right at the promenade overlooking Victoria Harbour. Hee-hee, my bad.
Walking further,
I arrived at the Chinese Garden. There was a covered walkway on one side where a
lot of women converged to relax and have their lunch. In the middle of the garden
is a pond with a gazebo and bridge which spans the breadth of the pond. Would
have loved to sit for a while in the gazebo but seeing that there were several
people already lounging there, I opted to hang out by the other end of the
bridge instead. In the lake were several turtles sunning themselves on rocks
and fallen tree trunks. There was also a sign there stating not to feed the
wildlife that live in the park.
![]() |
| Chinese Garden |
![]() |
| Terrapins |
Just sitting
there for a while was enough for me to marvel at seeing lush greenery and
wildlife in the middle of the metropolis. It is easy to think that I am in some
place far away from the hustle and bustle of the city even if parts of the city
skyline peeked over the treetops.
The Pool
Complex and the Aviary were a nice surprise since I came across them by
accident. The pool was open to the public and there were many families enjoying
the cool waters on that day. And why shouldn't they, the weather was perfect.
As I
rounded the top of a hill, I saw the grand rocky entrance of the Aviary. I had
to go down several steps to get to the Aviary but get there I did. The Aviary
houses several exotic bird species in addition to the wild ones that reside in
the park. I like how it is very well-kept. The birds seemed content in their
surroundings too.
When I
exited the Aviary, I finally spied a sign pointing to the Hong Kong Heritage
Discovery Centre. I followed the path leading to the place; however, the lovely
flamingoes hanging out in Bird Lake caught my attention. I was so excited to
see real-life flamingoes again since it's been eons since I've seen some. Photo
ops, then? You bet. I took as many as I could from my camera phone.
![]() |
| The nearest my phone can reach |
![]() |
| Tranquility in the midst of a bustling metropolis |
After
taking photos, I went on the path which I thought was still the way to Hong
Kong Heritage Discovery Centre. But lo and behold, there was no Hong Kong Heritage
Discovery Centre in sight. Instead, I found myself standing before a bridge
that led to China Hong Kong City instead. Since I was already there, it
wouldn't hurt to take a look what's beyond the bridge, and so I crossed it
under the heat of the scorching sun.
![]() |
| Taken from the bridge |
There were
more buildings than trees in this area so there was little protection from the
glaring light and heat. Still, I pressed on. There is a view deck just beyond
the ferry dock where I had a great view of Hong Kong Island. It just became too
hot for me eventually so I retraced my steps back to the park with the
intention of getting to Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre, making sure to
follow every sign that pointed to my destination.
![]() |
| Victoria Harbour |
There were
no more lovely distractions this time, except for a group of Filipinos in the
thick of a cheerdance rehearsal which I watched for a little bit. Then, continuing
on my way, I finally found what I was looking for.
*insert
victory cry here*
Get lost with me on my Hong Kong adventures :)
Next: Hong
Kong Heritage Discovery Centre

















No comments:
Post a Comment