Whenever someone asks me about my favourite music, I can never give a specific genre. It's always a little bit of this and that with a few hard passes. This is because as long as the melody of a certain song catches my ear, chances are I'll be obsessed about it. Bonus points if the lyrics speak to moi.
Leslie Pearl's gem of a song If The Love Fits Wear It is one of them. Much like The Four Seasons' Let's Hang On!, what caught my ear is the melody of this song's chorus. I loved this song even more after being able to really listen to it.
I have been hearing If The Love Fits Wear It on the radio over the years without knowing the title. Even if I wanted to search for the lyrics online, the noise level in public transportation makes it difficult to do so. I remember actually searching for websites that can recognise a song just by humming. The most applicable one I could find was Google Assistant that's found on newer phones.
Oh, well. I have lasted decades here on earth without having the pleasure of knowing what the song is except for the melody so I gave up for the meantime.
Last week, I bought a new phone since my old one had (still has) storage issues. Tinkering with it brought about a fresh realisation.
The new phone has Google Assistant. 😍
And so at long last I was able to search for the song by humming it on the app on the new phone, resulting in a 13% chance of it being a match. I tapped on the first result and oh my goodness. Call me mababaw but I felt so triumphant finally learning the song's title and the singer. As of this writing I can already declare that If The Love Fits Wear It will be one of the top songs in my Spotify On Repeat playlist by yearend.
Yep. TALK. ABOUT. OBSESSED. HA.
A Top 40 hit, If The Love Fits Wear It was written by Leslie Pearl and is one of the tracks of her second album Words and Music in 1982. It is no surprise that this song enjoyed a good 16 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 in 14th August that same year, peaking at number 28 and at number 7 on the Adult Contemporary chart. The word play in the song's chorus is brilliantly executed. The tune is more than catchy; it has that mellow, feel-good quality to it. As a whole, If The Love Fits Wear It keeps it simple, yet is straightforward and unpretentious.
As anyone's approach to romance should be. But we all know that's not the case. 😂
Hit play, as always!
Lyrics:
You say you're not sure about love
If this thing we got together is real
But I say what are you afraid of?
You're a man now and you know how to feel
Look to your heart
And the answer will be
Such a very simple thing
But if the love fits wear it, baby
And if it feels good, put it on
And if it's not right then just maybe
You'd be better off to leave it alone
But if the love fits wear it baby
And if it feels good, put it on
And if it looks right then just maybe
This love we have is where you belong
Baby you've got nothin' to lose
You can try it on and see if it suits you
And maybe, if it's not right for you
You can turn and walk away if you choose to
I want you to stay
Cause you feel good to me
But I'll leave it up to you
And if the love fits wear it, baby
And if it feels good, put it on
And if it's not right then just maybe
You'd be better off to leave it alone
But if the love fits wear it baby
And if it feels good, put it on
And if it looks right then just maybe
This love we have is where you belong
I'd like to hold you for I love you a lot
And try to make you understand
We got a good thing and it fits us so tight
But what can I do?
It's up to you
But if the love fits wear it, baby
And if it feels good, put it on
And if it's not right then just maybe
You'd be better off to leave it alone
But if the love fits wear it baby
And if it feels good, put it on
And if it looks right then just maybe
This love we have is where you belong
No comments:
Post a Comment