Sunday, 18 April 2021

LSS: The Kat Edmonson Show

Music has been and always will be an important part of this old girl's life. Next to reading, I cannot go a day without listening to music. Sometimes it's just one song for the whole day or even a week, but nevertheless, listening to music really hits the spot. 

It was especially helpful last year when emotions were just all over the place, being cooped up in the house for so long with people with different temperaments and all. So I play whatever music that suits my mood for the day and just relax whenever I have the chance to be by myself. 

One of the singers I listened to the most would be the amazing Kat Edmonson, who I've been a fan of since 2014. It was in February 2020 that I came across her new song "In a World of My Own", one of the tracks in Kat's latest album Dreamers Do. 

Kat was touring with her band to promote Dreamers Do around that same time and come March, they, along with everyone else around the globe, were told to go home because of the pandemic. People who have 9-5 jobs have it easier in terms of making ends meet since they could work at home. But for Kat and other artists out there who depend on live shows and such, it was a blow financially.  

Not long after quarantine started, Kat came up with the idea of doing a livestream from her living room. It was something that she reluctantly approached. Good thing she eventually embraced it as it was a fulfillment of her shows that she put up for visitors as a kid! How awesome is that? 

I was especially excited for the show because not only is it on a "pay what you will" basis, it also streams at a decent time given the time difference between Manila and New York, which means I'll have the opportunity to see Kat perform live. On 19 April 2020, The Kat Edmonson Show first streamed on Facebook. It was a shaky yet a fun beginning to what would become a weekly live show streamed on several platforms every Sunday at 7pm ET, enjoyed by fans from around the world. 

In honour of the show's first anniversary, here are five reasons why I love watching The Kat Edmonson Show, listed in no particular order:

1. Music education. I love listening to old songs. The older, the better. TKES features a lot of old songs ranging from the early 1900s to the 1950s. Not only are viewers in for a treat with Kat's beautiful renditions of these songs, we also get to learn some fun facts about the song and the artist who sung it. There's even a giveaway or two if you could answer a question correctly. Unfortunately I can never answer the questions since I still have a long way to go about vintage American movies and songs. 

2. The Kat Gang. Kataholics. Dreamers. Or whatever we Kat Edmonson fans would like to call ourselves. For some time people simply shared their thoughts on the comments section but as time went by, people have begun interacting. I myself have shared some good-natured ribbing with the other viewers and have looked forward to seeing them at the show as well. We may not be together physically but there's that sense of comfortable companionship as we tune in to Kat's show. Not too long ago a fan asked what should the Kat Edmonson fans be called. The three I have mentioned above are just some of the many witty suggestions given by fans. Up until now there's no official name but if there would be a poll, I'd go for Kat Gang or Kat Pack. (edit: there's a poll now and happy to see my choice there!)

3. Kat's stories. In relation to #1, I enjoy listening to her stories about how she came into the music scene as well as the backstory of each song that she wrote/co-wrote. Basically anything she shares that gives people a sneak peek into her life. Hearing them makes me feel like she's a great friend to have. How Kat tells stories is also quite hypnotic to be honest. She could totally do voiceovers if she wants. 

4. Kat's team/friends. They may be behind the scenes but they can be definitely felt all throughout each episode. There is Tyler who is her tech support at the show along with Aaron (percussions); the other band members Matt Ray, Roy Dunlap, Bob Hart, Matt Munisteri, and Al Street who provide wonderful accompaniment to each song; and special guests Christina Kulick, Duchess, Milton, and Michael Arthur, among others who have been featured alongside Kat in several episodes. 

5. Kat herself. Need I say more? But of course. Everyone knows how much she loves her supportive mum Sue, who is always present at every show. And everyone knows when Aaron is skating on thin ice. 😂Kat's aim for the show is for it to be an intimate time with close friends. Seeing how she interacts so naturally with each fan as if we're all together in the same room physically, I'd say she totally nailed it. Someone even said that it's like being with a group of friends sitting by a fire. Which is totally true. I have only interacted with Kat online, but I and everyone else who has tuned in to the show week after week had gotten to know her more on a deeper level somehow. 

Here are also some of my favourite memories of the show:

1. The fireside chat back in November. That was so cosy and even if Kat had a stiff neck that time, she went through with the show and chatted with us over cider and other drinks. I really enjoyed that even though I had no idea about the daylight savings time and therefore was late in tuning in.

2. Christmas special. I made sure to watch this on TV, and it was a good decision. Many of my favourite Christmas songs were sung and that night/day was such a festive time that I didn't realise that two hours had already passed. This is also the episode when Duchess made a special appearance, singing Mele Kalikimaka along with Kat. 

3. Valentine's special. There was a promo for the Valentine's show then, buy a Kat Edmonson tote bag with a free song dedication. Of course I bought one and dedicated the song Go to Sleep to my superduperultramegaover cutie nephew. Showed that segment to my brother and sis-in-law since the nephew is still too little. Good thing he's not too little to appreciate great music when he hears one. On a side note, the tote bag didn't just come by itself... a handwritten note from Kat arrived with it as well!

A year has now passed. So many memories have been made through the show and there are more to be had in the future. With 47 episodes behind them and 47 million more livestream shows to go (ha!), I can say that The Kat Edmonson Show is definitely one of the best things that came out of this pandemic. It has definitely been a light that calms the soul in all the madness that surrounds us in the present. 

Happy first anniversary, TKES! Cheers to a year and more! 🍸

===============

Access to all things Kat Edmonson can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

sunday currently vol. 61

Currently... reading: Serena on Webtoon.  writing: this. i'm not holding my breath for when i will finally write a decent paragraph that...