Reasons why getting married on
Valentine's day is a bad idea:
1. It's corny.
2. It's cheesy.
3. Most people you know apart
from your immediate family will be too busy spending V-day on their own leisure
to be celebrating your wedding anniversary with you. So you decide to celebrate
it on the weekend where the 14th is nearest. Kind of defeats the purpose why
you got married on V-day, now doesn't it? You can't even celebrate it with your
other loved ones. There is an upside to this however. You and your spouse can
have the whole day all to yourselves. (Along with other cheesy, mushy couples
who just have to celebrate V-day
together. Oh, puh-leeze. *insert rolling eyeballs here*)
And the most important thing to mull
over:
4. With regards to your immediate
family: When your kids are all grown, they will be torn whether to spend the
day with their own special someones or to celebrate your wedding anniversary
with you. Wouldn't that be just too mean of you?
Consider this scenario:
Grown-up Kid: I'm sorry, I can't celebrate Valentine's
with you.
Special Someone: What?! Why?
GuK: It's my parents' wedding anniversary. We're going
out for dinner.
SS: Can I come with you?
GuK: Um, you can't. They want to celebrate it with just
the family.
SS: If you won't let me come with you, I'm going to break
up with you!
GuK: Ermmm...
Or this scenario...
GuK: I'm sorry, I can't celebrate Valentine's with you.
SS: What?! Why?
GuK: It's my parents' wedding anniversary. They're
celebrating their twenty-fifth year together so we're going to have a party.
SS: What?! But we're going out on Valentine's day.
GuK: You can come to the party and be my date. (toothy
smile but faltering inside)
SS: I won't! I want it just to be the two of us!
GuK: But...
SS: It's me, or them. Take your pick.
Dun-dun-dun-dunnnn...
...Or this scenario:
GuK: I'm sorry, I can't celebrate Valentine's with you.
SS: What?! Why?
GuK: It's my parents' wedding anniversary.
SS: No! I'm breaking up with you right now!
Scenarios like the ones above can even be reversed:
GuKs: Mum, Dad, we're sorry but we won't be able to join
you on your anniversary.
Mum and Dad: What?! Why?
GuKs: We already have something planned with our SSes.
Mum: You ungrateful children! Have you forgotten the pain
and agony I went through for nine months until I gave birth to you?!
GuKs: Um... we don't exactly remember... There are photos
though...
Dad: Oh, dear wife. Our kids are all grown up now. Just let
them be.
Mum: Husband! You have no sense of family whatsoever. Blah,
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, so on and so forth till the world's end, amen. End of discussion.
Yes, the kids lose. Big time. (sometimes the spouses lose too, just to be fair.)
In an ideal world, everyone gets
into a compromise and everyone ends the day with all smiles. Don't we all wish
that all stories end like that? Unfortunately that ideal world is but a dream.
So yeah. To couples out there
deciding on The Date, do not get hitched on February 14th. Ever. That will
just be too mean and selfish for you to do so. For the sake of your future
kids' lovelife. Just don't.
Disclaimer: This post is based purely on opinions formed upon observation and imagination gone amuck. Happy heart's day to thee. :P
you put out a good argument there, you must have put a lot of thought into this :)
ReplyDeletethis is coming from someone who doesn't do valentines <3